For one of my many papers due this week I chose to watch RENT and write a paper on the trauma and addiction shown in the movie. I've watched RENT dozens of times and listened to the soundtrack hundreds of times but this time was a totally new experience. I found I have a totally new view of the experiences which the characters go through. While I've always loved the movie, I had previously always been very critical of the addictions experienced by the characters.
While I am in no way expressing approval of the use of drugs--I must admit I have long misunderstood the seriousness of addiction. I have long been an advocate of personal power and the strength of willpower. I do truly believe that a person must be motivated to change before they will experience real change; however, this motivation is not enough. The longer a person has been under the influence of a substance the less willpower a person has to change.
Understanding the real and mortal threat the characters were facing from the largely misunderstood threat of AIDS provides a new reason for their addictions--as a way to cope with the trauma they have experienced. It's a completely new movie now.
Understanding the real and mortal threat the characters were facing from the largely misunderstood threat of AIDS provides a new reason for their addictions--as a way to cope with the trauma they have experienced. It's a completely new movie now.
No comments:
Post a Comment